Please note: The Library’s text message services changed January 1, 2017.
Our new text notification service, Shoutbomb, is now live and old notices will be turned off in mid-January.If you are already registered to receive text message notices, you will see a new number from the deliverer of these text messages: email@example.com. With this new service, you can receive notices for multiple library accounts and turn certain notices on and off.
Text Message FAQs
- The library doesn’t charge a fee for this service, but your cell phone plan’s regular text messaging rates still apply. Check with your cell phone service provider to see the cost of text messages in your service plan. You can expect a larger volume of text messages with this service.
How Do I Sign Up?
- Text SIGNUP to: firstname.lastname@example.org (To receive your messages in Spanish, use REGISTRESE instead of SIGNUP.)
- Enter your card # (Full number with no spaces, e.g. 409000xxxxxxx)
- Enter email address (optional)
What Do I Need to Sign Up?
- A mobile phone with text messaging capability
- Text messaging service (check your cell phone service plan)
- Your phone must be able to send a text message to an email address
- Your 13-digit barcode number from your library card
What Kinds of Notices Will I Get?
Text NOTICES to view the current status of all the opt in/out notices.
These notices are ON by default. Texting the keyword (e.g. HOLDS) to email@example.com will turn that type of notice off. Text the keyword again to turn the notice back on.
- HOLDS: This is a notice that you have holds ready to be picked up.
- OVERDUE: This is a notice that things are already overdue.
- RENEW: This is a notice that things will soon be due, and you can renew them.
- FEES: This is a notice that there are fines or fees owed.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS: These notices will feature library closures, etc.
Other Commands (send all keywords to firstname.lastname@example.org):
TEST: Test your connection to the service.
HELP: Get help with a command. E.g., type HELP FEES to get help with that command.
MYBOOKS: Inquire about the status of all of your library items.
IOWEU: Get a list of fines and fees for all registered barcodes.
RHL: Get a list of holds expiring soon.
HL: Get a list of holds that are ready to pick up.
OA: The service will attempt to renew all overdue items and will reply with a list of items that were successfully and unsuccessfully renewed.
OL: Generates a numbered list of all overdue items eligible for renewal.
RA: The service will attempt to renew all items and will reply with a list of items that were successfully and unsuccessfully renewed.
RI: Get a list of items that are coming due and that cannot be renewed.
RL: Generates a numbered list of renewable items.
MYCARDS: Generates a numbered list of the barcodes currently registered to your phone.
ADDCARD: This will add a barcode registered to your phone for notices.
DROPCARD: To remove a card from your phone for notices.
ADDEMAIL: Change email on your account.
SWITCHPHONE: Update your phone number or mobile service provider (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc).
RESEND: Receive last message again.
STOP: Immediately remove your number from the text service, no questions asked.
QUIT: Longer way to quit the service. You will be prompted to enter the barcode and will receive a message confirming your request.
When Will I Receive Texts?
Texts will be sent only when activity on your account triggers a message and will be sent between 9:00am and 7:00pm.