Center for Adult & Family Education
The Center for Adult & Family Education provides affordable literacy instruction to Gunnison County adults and families who wish to improve their communication and living skills.
CAFE OFFICE HOURS
or by appointment
Generously Supported By:
We seek to:
- Improve the quality of life for low-literacy community members
- Teach our students functional English, focusing on competencies for communicating and interacting with others in personal and professional settings
- Help our students lay the foundation for better living, both now and in the future
- Enable our students to become more fully involved with the education of their children
- Promote children’s literacy activities and encourage their academic success
- Connect our students and their families with resources and opportunities within our community that may serve their needs and enrich their lives
- English as Second Language classes September through May.
- One Multi-level class Tuesday and Thursday mornings 8:30-10:30 am.
- Two adult (beginner, intermediate, advanced) classes Monday and Wednesday evenings 6-8pm
- Two Family Literacy classrooms Monday and Wednesday evenings 6-8pm for children birth -13 years of age. Children receive homework support and special programming in collaboration with the City of Gunnison recreation department, Mountain Roots Food project and Gunnison Arts Center.
- Adult Basic Education and GED Preparation is offered on an as needed basis
- Citizenship classes are offered as needed and help anyone going through the Naturalization process.
- Mary Burt-Program Director
- Karen Hausdoerffer-ESL Instructor
- Kaylonn Tredway-ESL Instructor
- Marketa Zubkova-Adult Family Literacy Liasion, BIA Accredited Immigration Legal Representative
- Elise Brown -Childhood Classroom Lead Instructor
- Jessie Olson-Childhood Classroom Aide
2017 Evening English classes: January 16-May 3. Mondays and Wednesday evenings 6-8pm. Children 0-13 are welcome at no extra charge.2017 Morning English classes: January 17-May 4, Tuesdays and Thursday mornings 8:30-10:30am. Adult classes